A highly nutritious and versatile grain, SHILOH FARMS Millet is tasty, with a mildly sweet, nut-like flavor. Rich in phytochemicals and naturally gluten-free, millet is known as a warming grain, meaning that it will help to heat the body in cold or rainy conditions. Also, like quinoa and buckwheat, it is not acid-forming, making it easier to digest. In fact, millet is considered to be one of the least allergenic and most digestible grains available.
Because millet seeds are enclosed in remarkably hard, indigestible hulls, this grain must be hulled before it can be used for human consumption. However, hulling does not affect the nutrient value, as the germ stays intact throughout this process.
To Cook: Sort and rinse. There are many cooking variations to be found for millet, but a good general guideline is to use 3 parts water or stock with 1 part grain. Add grain to boiling water and simmer covered for approximately 30 minutes, or until water is completely absorbed. Remove from heat and let steam, covered, for ten more minutes. If millet is presoaked, the cooking time is shortened by 5 to 10 minutes. Millet expands to twice its volume when cooked. Using less water produces a fluffier texture; use more water for a very moist and dense result.
1. The flavor of millet is enhanced by lightly roasting the grains before cooking. In a dry pan over medium heat, stir the grains constantly for approximately three minutes, or until a mild, nutty aroma is detected, then proceed with cooking directions as usual.
2. A delicious hot cereal, millet can also be used in a variety of casseroles, breads, soups, stews, soufflés, pilaf, and stuffing.
3. It can be used in place of rice as a side dish with sautéed vegetables or beans.
4. The grain mixes well with any seasoning or herbs that are commonly used in rice dishes.
5. For interesting taste and texture variations, it may be combined with quinoa and brown or basmati rice.
6. Millet may also be sprouted for use in salads and sandwiches.
Storage: Properly stored, whole millet can be safely kept for up to two years. The grain should be stored in tightly closed containers (preferably glass) in the refrigerator or some other cool, dry place with a temperature of less than 70°.
47g or more of Whole Grain per serving
Certified Organic by Pennsylvania Certified Organic (www.paorganic.org)
Packed in a dedicated Gluten Free facility.
This product was packaged using equipment that also handles tree nuts.
Country of Origin: USA
Ingredients: Organic Whole Grain Hulled Millet
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!
All prices are in USD