Sweet and buttery, SHILOH FARMS Kamut® Flakes are a delightful and delicious alternative to rolled oats! Especially rich in protein and fiber, they are also an excellent source of B Vitamins, manganese, phosphorus, and other essential nutrients.
An ancient variety of wheat believed to have originated in the Fertile Cresent over 6,000 years ago, Kamut® (or Khorasan Wheat) is much larger than modern strains. In fact, this grain is a specific, registered variety that must meet several strict conditions to carry the Kamut® name:
• It must be ancient Khorasan Wheat and not the product of any breeding or genetic manipulation.
• It must be Certified Organic.
• It must be 99% free of contamination from modern wheat varieties.
• It must contain 12-18% protein.
• It must contain 400-1,000 ppb selenium.
Because Kamut® is relatively easy digest, it may be tolerated by those with mild wheat sensitivities. However, as with other varieties of wheat, it does contain gluten and should be avoided by celiacs and those with acute gluten sensitivities.
To Cook: Add 1 cup flakes to 2 cups of boiling water. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the desired consistency has been reached.
1. Add raisins, cranberries, or other dried fruits to the flakes as they are cooking (about the last 3-5 minutes of cooking time). The fruits will plump and help to sweeten the cereal.
2. Sweeten with honey, maple syrup, or your favorite natural sweetener; finish with toasted nuts.
3. Substitute up to ½ cup flakes for flour in quick breads.
4. Replace up to ½ the flour in pancakes with flakes.
5. Use flakes instead of bread crumbs in casseroles or as toppings.
6. Make a delicious crumble topping for pies and fruit crisps.
7. Mix with dried fruits, nuts, and seeds for homemade granolas, muelis, or trail mixes.
8. Use in vegetarian burgers, or add for substance to hamburgers or meat loaf.
9. Add to muffins, cookies, breads, or other baked goods.
40 grams of whole grain per serving.
Certified Organic by Pennsylvania Certified Organic (www.paorganic.org)
This product was packaged in a facility that also handles wheat, soy, and tree nuts.
Country of Origin: USA
Ingredients: Organic Rolled Kamut® (wheat) Grain
Posted by Bob on 26th Sep 2013
Would buy again
Posted by Chanti on 4th Apr 2011
it's easy to make and healthy for my daughter
All prices are in USD