With its sweet nuttiness and chewy texture, it is easy to see why many consider SHILOH FARMS Spelt the tastiest among grains. A good source of fiber, protein, and B Vitamins, it is especially rich in several essential minerals, including manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, and iron. Because of spelt's high water solubility, its many nutrients are more readily absorbed than some other grains.
An ancient variety of wheat, spelt has a long and complex history. Thought to have originated independently in both Asia and Europe over 7,000 years ago, this hearty cereal grain was a staple of European civilizations as far back as the Bronze Age. It was introduced to America in the 19th Century, as many immigrants included spelt berries among their belongings. Nowadays spelt is especially popular among organic farmers, because it requires less fertilizer and is more disease-resistant than common wheat.
While not gluten free, spelt is more easily digested than other forms of wheat and may be better tolerated by those with gluten and wheat sensitivities.
To Cook: Sort and rinse. Bring 1 cup grain and 2 cups water to a boil. Reduce, cover, and simmer 1 hour, or until the grain is tender and the berries are plump. The grains should be a bit toothy and hearty, not mushy. Soaking the grains overnight should reduce cooking time by approxiately 30%. Makes about 2 cups of cooked grain.
1. Cooked spelt can be substituted for rice or other grains in pilafs, risottos, and stuffings.
2. For even more flavor, try cooking in broth, stock, or even juice.
3. For a hearty and delicious breakfast, sweeten cooked berries with honey or your favorite natural sweetener, add milk or yogurt, and top with nuts, berries, or dried fruit.
4. Makes a great addition to salads, soups, stews, and casseroles.
5. Add to substance and texture to meatloaf, meatballs, or hamburgers.
6. Grind into a flour to make yeasty breads, pasta, or baked goods.
46g or more of Whole Grain per serving
Certified Organic by Pennsylvania Certified Organic (www.paorganic.org)
Certified Kosher by KOF-K Kosher Supervision (www.www.kof-k.org)
This product was packaged in a facility that also handles wheat, soy, and tree nuts.
Country of Origin: Canada
Ingredients: Organic Whole Grain Spelt (wheat) Berries
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!
All prices are in USD