Great Northern Beans, also known by their Italian name as cannellini beans, are a delicately flavored white bean related to the kidney bean and the pinto bean. Their mild flavor and creamy texture makes them very versatile. The flavor of the Great Northern beans is compatible with that of tomatoes, garlic, molasses, honey, mild vinegars and mustard. This bean is an excellent kitchen staple.
To Cook: Beans should be sorted and rinsed to remove any stones, dirt or discolored beans. Cover the beans with 3 to 4 times their volume of water. Dried beans should then be boiled for about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave soaking over night to shorten the cooking time. Then discard the soaking water which leaches out the hard-to-digest complex sugars that can cause flatulence. Then cover the beans with water (1 part beans to 3 parts water) and once the beans start boiling, then lower the heat and simmer, approximately 1.5 to 2 hours. Stir beans occasionally and add additional water if necessary. Drain and save the cooking water for soups and sauces. Beans must be thoroughly cooked for digestibility.
Test frequently during cooking, then come to your own decision when beans are tender and taste "done." Remember, intended use dictates desired tenderness. It is better to cook beans to a firm stage for salads, freezing and longer-cooking recipes. If you plan to puree or mash the beans, cook until very soft.
1. Great Northern beans are Classic soup beans. They are a favorite in bean soups and minestrone.
2. Try them in potato soups and potato-cheese soups as well.
3. Combine them with whole grain pasta, cream cheese and mushrooms for a hearty main dish.
4. Marinate them and toss in with pasta or green salads. Or use them plain in salads.
5. When cooked Great Northern beans puree into a smooth creamy texture that can be used in baked goods, thickening soups and making Pate,
6. They are excellent in stews or baked bean recipes, especially barbeque flavorings.
Country of Origin: USA
This product was packaged using equipment that also handles wheat, soy, peanuts and tree nuts.
Ingredients: Organic Great Northern Beans.