Petite with an eye-catching bright green skin, SHILOH FARMS Organic Mung Beans are an exceptionally nutritious, versatile legume closely related to adzuki beans and cowpeas. Their slightly sweet flavor makes them well-suited to both savory and sweet applications. Mung beans can be used whole or split and hulled, and they are a great legume for sprouting (in fact, if you've ever had bean sprouts on a salad or sandwich, you've probably already been eating mung beans!)
Mung beans are easy to digest (they do not generally create abdominal gas or bloating the way some other beans do) and are extremely high in protein, fiber, and iron. They are also a good source of potassium, calcium, magnesium, and B vitamins.
Native to Southeast Asia, mung beans are a staple in India, China, and other regional cuisines, where they are used in sweet soups, curries, pancakes, and even desserts!
To Cook: Mung beans do not require pre-soaking, but you should sort and rinse them thoroughly before cooking. Bring 1 part beans and 3 parts water to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45-60 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed and the beans are tender.
To Sprout: Cover 1 part raw mung beans with 3 parts water and soak overnight. Rinse and drain 2 to 3 times daily for 3-4 days, or until sprouts reach desired length. Get additional tips for sprouting beans on our blog.
1. Combine cooked beans with rice or other grains to make khichari.
2. Use them in place of lentils or split peas for soups, stews, curries, or casseroles.
3. Puree cooked beans with spices (turmeric, cumin, ginger, & coriander are good options) to make a spread for toast.
4. Mashed beans can be used as a thickener for stews or gravies.
5. Grind raw beans into flour to be used to make crepes or flatbreads; or, add a little to your other baked goods for a protein & fiber boost.
6. Add sprouts to stir-fries, spring rolls, or other Asian dishes.
7. Top salads with sprouts (or try adding them to potato salad!)
8. Sprouts add crunch and flavor to sandwiches and wraps.
Certified Organic by Pennsylvania Certified Organic (www.paorganic.org)
Gluten Free Statement: This product is naturally gluten free and has been packaged in our dedicated gluten free facility. However, we do not test or certify this product at this time. If gluten free, please use your own discretion in determining whether this product is safe for your consumption.
This product was packaged using equipment that also handles tree nuts.
Country of Origin: China
Ingredients: Organic Mung Beans
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!
All prices are in USD