With its mellow, nutty flavor and chewy texture, SHILOH FARMS Hard Red Winter Wheat is a versatile all-purpose grain well-suited for use in both sweet and savory dishes. A variety noted for its high protein and gluten content, it is frequently ground into flour for use in breads and other yeast-risen baked goods.
One of the oldest and most widely cultivated cereal crops in the world, wheat is the leading souce of plant-based protein in the human diet. In addition to being an excellent source of protein, whole grain wheat berries are loaded with vital nutrients including fiber, B Vitamins, and a laundry list of essential minerals (including manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, and iron)!
To Cook: Sort and rinse. Add 1 part grain to 3 parts water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1-1½ hours, or until grain is tender. Drain excess water and serve. Soaking the grain overnight will shorten the cooking time. Yields about 2½ cups cooked grain.
1. Add cooked wheat berries to soups, chilis, salads, stews, and casseroles.
2. Combine with herbs, roasted or sauteed vegetables, dried fruits, and toasted nuts for a hearty side dish or stuffing.
3. Hard wheat's nutty flavor pairs especially well with roasted vegetables and dried fruits, such as cherries or cranberries.
4. Add a handful of cooked wheat berries to bread doughs for added texture and flavor.
5. Hard wheat can be ground into a fine flour, excellent for baking yeast breads and rolls.
6. Combine with your favorite beans for complete plant protein.
7. Try making puffed wheat (similar to "popped" corn). First partially cook the wheat berries to soften them, then place them in a hot pan with oil and season to taste. Eat as a snack or cereal or add to salads.
47g or more of Whole Grain per serving.
Certified Organic by Pennsylvania Certified Organic (www.paorganic.org)
Certified Kosher by KOF-K Kosher Supervision (www.www.kof-k.org)
This product was packaged in a facility that also handles wheat, soy, and tree nuts.
Country of Origin: USA
Ingredients: Organic Whole Grain Hard Red Winter Berries
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!
All prices are in USD