SHILOH FARMS Great Northern Beans are a delicately flavored white bean related to the kidney bean and the pinto bean. Their mild flavor and creamy texture makes them a versatile kitchen staple. The flavor of the Great Northern beans is compatible with that of tomatoes, garlic, molasses, honey, mild vinegars and mustard.
To Cook: Sort and rinse beans. Add 1 part beans to 3 parts boiling water. Remove from heat, cover, and allow the beans to soak overnight. Drain and add 3 parts fresh water or stock (make sure the beans are completely covered by the liquid). Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for about 2 hours, or until beans are softened to your liking. Drain and save excess cooking liquid for soup stocks. Season beans with salt, pepper, or other desired spices and serve.
Test frequently during cooking, then come to your own decision on when beans are tender and taste "done." Remember, intended use dictates desired tenderness. It is better to cook beans to a firm stage for salads, freezing, and longer-cooking recipes. If you plan to puree or mash the beans, cook until very soft.
1. Great Northern beans are Classic soup beans. They are a favorite in bean soups and minestrone.
2. Try them in potato soups and potato-cheese soups as well.
3. Combine them with whole grain pasta, cream cheese and mushrooms for a hearty main dish.
4. Marinate them and toss in with pasta or green salads. Or use them plain in salads.
5. When cooked Great Northern beans puree into a smooth creamy texture that can be used in baked goods, thickening soups and making Pate,
6. They are excellent in stews or baked bean recipes, especially barbeque flavorings.
Certified Organic by Pennsylvania Certified Organic (www.paorganic.org)
This product was packaged using equipment that also handles wheat, soy, and tree nuts.
Ingredients: Organic Great Northern Beans
Country of Origin: USA
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!
All prices are in USD