Chilled Black Bean Salad
Yields 8 servings
This chilled bean salad makes a great complement to roasted or grilled meats, or as an appetizer served with tortilla chips. For a quick & healthy lunch, spoon a large serving atop fresh salad greens and enjoy!
15 oz. bag Shiloh Farms Organic Black Turtle Beans or PureLiving Sprouted Black Beans, soaked and cooked according to package directions
2 C. corn kernels (thawed if using frozen)
1 small onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
Dressing (recipe follows)
1. Begin by making the dressing: Add all dressing ingredients to a blender and blend thoroughly; set aside
2. In a large bowl, combine beans, corn, onion, pepper, and cilantro; toss with dressing
3. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to develop
Tips for working with dried beans:
1. Before cooking, dried beans should be soaked. For each pound of dried beans, add to 4 quarts of cold water mixed with 2 Tbsp. salt and soak overnight (the salt helps maintain the firmness of the skins during the cooking process.) Alternately, you can shorten the soaking time to 1 hour by covering the beans with 2 quarts of boiling water and 2 Tbsp. salt. In either case, drain and rinse the beans well before cooking.
2. Cook the soaked beans in plenty of water. Add beans to cold water (salted at a ratio of 1tsp. salt per 4 quarts water) and bring to boil; reduce to a low simmer and cook until beans are tender, roughly 40-60 minutes.
Find more tips here.
All prices are in USD