Made from whole grain durum wheat semolina, quick cooking SHILOH FARMS Whole Wheat Couscous is wholesome, hearty, and ready in minutes! A staple of North African cuisine for hundreds of years, couscous makes a great side dish or alternative to pasta, rice, or grains. Light and fluffy, whole wheat couscous has a slightly more pronounced flavor than regular couscous.
Not quite a whole grain and not quite a pasta, couscous lies somewhere between the two. To make it, semolina (cracked grains resulting from the first milling of durum wheat) is moistened with water and then rolled in flour to form tiny pellets. These are then steamed and dried so that the couscous only needs to be reheated before serving.
Semolina is a great source of phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, and B Vitamins (especially thiamine, niacin, and folate). Durum wheat, a variant of ancient emmer wheat, is exceptionally high in protein and relatively low in gluten. The hardest of all wheats, it is most often milled into flour or semolina for use in making pasta, couscous, pizza dough, and flatbreads.
To Cook: Add 1 part couscous to 1½ parts boiling water. Cover, remove from heat, and let sit 5 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork before serving.
1. For added flavor, use stock or broth instead of water and add garlic, ginger, and/or green onions.
2. Cook in fruit juice, then top with toasted nuts, and your favorite fruit for a filling breakfast.
3. Substitute for rice as a base for stir-fries, curries, and roasted vegetables.
4. Use leftover cooked couscous to make light and tasty griddle cakes.
5. Add to salads, soups, and stews.
6. Make a delicious dessert by adding honey, cinnamon, raisins, and nuts, then top with cream.
45g or more of Whole Grain per serving
Certified Organic by Pennsylvania Certified Organic (www.paorganic.org)
Certified Kosher by KOF-K Kosher Supervision (www.www.kof-k.org)
This product was packaged in a facility that also handles wheat, soy, and tree nuts.
Country of Origin: USA
Ingredients: Organic Whole Grain Durum Wheat Semolina
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!
All prices are in USD