SHILOH FARMS Wheat Flakes are made from whole grain wheat berries that have been steamed and rolled so they cook in a fraction of the time. While they may look similar to old fashioned rolled oats, they have a firmer texture and a more pronounced flavor. They are also significantly higher in fiber and protein, making them a great alternative for breakfast, baking, binding, or wherever else rolled oats or other flakes would be used.
One of the oldest and most widely cultivated cereal crops in the world, wheat is the leading souce of plant-based protein in the human diet. In addition to being an excellent source of protein, whole grain wheat is loaded with vital nutrients including fiber, B Vitamins, and a laundry list of essential minerals (including manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, and iron)!
To cook: Add 1 cup flakes to 2 cups of boiling water. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed and the desired consistency has been reached.
When substituting wheat flakes for rolled oats in baked goods, it is a good idea to soften them first by pouring boiling water over them. Cover and let stand about 10 minutes, then add them to your recipes.
1. Add raisins, cranberries, or other dried fruits to the flakes as they are cooking (about the last 3-5 minutes of cooking time). The fruits will plump and help to sweeten the cereal.
2. Sweeten with honey, maple syrup, or your favorite natural sweetener; finish with toasted nuts.
3. Substitute up to ½ cup flakes for flour in quick breads.
4. Replace up to ½ the flour in pancakes with flakes.
5. Use flakes instead of bread crumbs in casseroles or as toppings.
6. Make a delicious crumble topping for pies and fruit crisps.
7. Mix with dried fruits, nuts, and seeds for homemade granolas, muelis, or trail mixes.
8. Use in vegetarian burgers, or add for substance to hamburgers, meatballs, or meatloaf.
9. Add to muffins, cookies, breads, or other baked goods.
34g or more of Whole Grain per serving
Certified Organic by Pennsylvania Certified Organic (www.paorganic.org)
Certified Kosher by KOF-K Kosher Supervision (www.www.kof-k.org)
This product was packaged in a facility that also handles wheat, soy, and tree nuts.
Country of Origin: USA
Ingredients: Organic Whole Grain Hard Red Winter Wheat Berries (rolled, steamed)
Posted by Unknown on 14th Dec 2016
We use these wheat flakes for our granola and they are the best!
Tasty, fresh and organic .. can't get better than that. And dealing with the folks at Shiloh Farms is always a pleasure; Beth has been so friendly and easy to work with!
All prices are in USD