SHILOH FARMS Organic Steel-Cut Oats are made from organic hulled steel cut oat groats. Unlike rolled oats, which are steamed, rolled, and toasted, steel-cut oats are much less processed, ensuring that you receive nearly all of the nutritional benefits of the whole grain. Each oat groat is coarsely chopped into just 2-3 pieces, producing a much heartier, chewier texture and a more robust flavor.
Oats are a great source of fiber and complex carbohydrates, which will leave you feeling full and energized. They are also high in protein, a host of essential minerals (especially manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, and zinc), and B Vitamins (particularly thiamin, folate, and riboflavin). Steel-cut oats are relatively low glycemic index, making them a good option for those with diabetes.
Sometimes called Irish or Scottish Oats (since they are traditionally used to make porridge), steel-cut oats can be eaten alone as a cereal, added to baked goods, or even used to thicken soups and stews.
To Cook: Add 1 part of steel-cut oats to 4 parts of boiling water. Cover and simmer until water is absorbed, about 40-50 minutes.
Other Cooking Tips:
1. Soak Overnight: Before going to bed, boil 4 cups of water in a pot, turn off the heat, and add 1 cup of steel-cut oats. Cover the pot and leave overnight. In the morning cook over a low heat for 9-12 mins.
2. Pre-Toast: Toast the steel-cut oats in a preheated 300°F oven for approximately 20 minutes. Place the oats in a tightly sealed container and store in a cool place until ready to use.
3. Make Ahead: Prepare several days worth of steel-cut oats in advance, then store individual servings in your refrigerator until required. To reheat, add a little liquid along with the pre-cooked steel-cut oats to a pan, cover, and heat over low for about 5 minutes.
1. Enjoy as a hot cereal, served with milk and your favorite toppings and sweetener. Mix things up and try out different combinations. Some suggestions: honey with chopped figs and mint; maple syrup with toasted pecans and dried apples.
2. Try a savory play on oatmeal by topping with bacon, chives, and a fried egg.
3. Add small amounts to baked goods, like pancakes and muffins, for a heartier texture.
4. Use to thicken and add substance to soups and stews.
43g or more of Whole Grain per serving
Certified Organic by Pennsylvania Certified Organic (www.paorganic.org)
Certified Kosher by KOF-K Kosher Supervision (www.www.kof-k.org)
This product was packaged in a facility that also handles wheat, soy, and tree nuts.
Country of Origin: USA
Ingredients: Organic Whole Grain Oat Groats (steel cut into small pieces)
Posted by phahn on 30th Apr 2013
Great product, reasonably priced.
The only issue I have encountered is when I puchase in 25# bags, 2 of the 7 I have bought have broken open at the seam during shipping.
Not much product was lost - not a huge deal, but would be nice if the bags were sealed a little better. no problems with the smaller packages. Also, the samples of other products included in each box are a nice touch.
All prices are in USD