Enjoy the many benefits of whole grain spelt in a fraction of the time with SHILOH FARMS Spelt Flakes!
Quick-cooking and ready in minutes, spelt flakes are a delicious and highly nutritious alternative to rolled oats. Considered by many to be the tastiest of grains, spelt has a sweet, nutty flavor and hearty texture. It is an excellent source of fiber, protein, and B Vitamins, and is especially rich in several essential minerals (including manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, and iron). Also, while not gluten free, spelt is more easily digested than other forms of wheat and may be better tolerated by those with gluten and wheat sensitivities.
An ancient variety of wheat, spelt has a long and complex history. Thought to have originated independently in both Asia and Europe over 7,000 years ago, this hearty cereal grain was a staple of European civilizations as far back as the Bronze Age. It was introduced to America in the 19th Century, as many immigrants included spelt berries among their belongings. Nowadays spelt is especially popular among organic farmers, because it requires less fertilizer and is more disease-resistant than common wheat.
To Cook: Add 1 cup flakes to 2 cups of boiling water. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed and the desired consistency has been reached.
1. Add raisins, cranberries, or other dried fruits to the flakes as they are cooking (about the last 3-5 minutes of cooking time). The fruits will plump and help to sweeten the cereal.
2. Sweeten with honey, maple syrup, or your favorite natural sweetener; finish with toasted nuts.
3. Substitute up to ½ cup flakes for flour in quick breads.
4. Replace up to ½ the flour in pancakes with flakes.
5. Use flakes instead of bread crumbs in casseroles or as toppings.
6. Make a delicious crumble topping for pies and fruit crisps.
7. Mix with dried fruits, nuts, and seeds for homemade granolas, muelis, or trail mixes.
8. Use in vegetarian burgers, or add for substance to hamburgers, meatballs, or meatloaf.
9. Add to muffins, cookies, breads, or other baked goods.
40g or more of Whole Grain per serving
Certified Organic by Pennsylvania Certified Organic (www.paorganic.org)
Certified Kosher by KOF-K Kosher Supervision (www.www.kof-k.org)
This product was packaged in a facility that also handles wheat, soy, and tree nuts.
Country of Origin: USA
Ingredients: Organic Whole Grain Spelt (wheat), rolled
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!
All prices are in USD