In an oatmeal rut? With their hearty texture and earthy, slightly spicy flavor, SHILOH FARMS Rye Flakes are just the whole grain cereal alternative you've been looking for!
Made from organic rye berries that have been steamed and then flattened with steel rollers, rye flakes are a nutrient-rich whole grain source of fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals (especially manganese, phosphorus, and magnesium). Whether enjoyed as a nourishing hot breakfast, added to breads and baked goods, or used as a binder for your favorite burgers, they add a distinctive, uniquely delicious element to both sweet and savory dishes.
Rye is an especially hardy, resilient cereal grain and member of the wheat family. Capable of being grown in soils and conditions inhospitable to wheat and other grains, it is widespread in Scandinavia, Northern Europe, Russia, and other harsh, colder climes. Closely associated with a number of regional cuisines, rye is traditional in breads, crispbreads, and fermented beverages.
To Cook: Bring 2 cups water to boil and 1 cup rye flakes, cover. Reduce to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
1. Add raisins, cranberries, or other dried fruits to the flakes as they are cooking (about the last 3-5 minutes of cooking time). The fruits will plump and help to slightly sweeten the cereal. Finish with toasted nuts or seeds.
2. Go savory: add your favorite herbs, then top with roasted vegetables or a fried egg.
3. Use flakes instead of bread crumbs in casseroles or as breading or topping.
4. Add flavor and hearty texture to muffins, cookies, breads, or other baked goods.
5. Mix with dried fruits, nuts, and seeds for homemade granolas, muelis, or trail mixes.
6. Use in vegetarian burgers, or add for substance to hamburgers, meatballs, or meatloaf.
7. Substitute up to ½ cup flakes for flour in quick breads or replace up to ½ the flour in pancakes.
8. Make a delicious crumble topping for pies and fruit crisps.
33g or more of Whole Grain per serving.
Certified Organic by Pennsylvania Certified Organic (www.paorganic.org)
This product was packaged in a facility that also handles wheat, soy, and tree nuts.
Country of Origin: USA
Ingredients: Organic Whole Grain Rye Berries (steamed and rolled)
Posted by Unknown on 12th Feb 2015
I use them in homemade muesli to add flavor. Much more interesting taste than if made only with oats. You can also add them to hot cereal.
Posted by Ron on 15th Jan 2014
All prices are in USD