Barley is a wonderfully versatile cereal grain with a rich nutlike flavor and an appealing chewy, pasta-like consistency Barley is a rugged grain, which, due to the sturdiness of the plant, can be found throughout the northern hemisphere, from Asia to the Americas. The grain itself is composed of about 5 parts. Hulled barley has only the 2 outer inedible hulls removed. Hulled barley is light brown in color.
Barley has the lowest glycemic index of any grain, about 1/3 that of wheat. So, diabetics can consume three times the hulless barley they can wheat! Hulless barley also has a different gluten structure than wheat. This is good news for many individuals with wheat allergies. Often they can consume hulless barley also. (Naturally high in protein and fiber, with a low glycemic index, hulless barley is high in beta glucan that can lower cholesterol)
To Cook: Sort and rinse 1 cup of barley. Add to 3 to 4 cups of boiling water. Simmer until tender Approx 1-2 hours.
1. Hulled barley can be cooked alone and used as rice or any other grain.
2. One cup of barely, cooked with three cups of water, flavored with garlic and onions, for 1 1/4 hours will provide a crunchy side dish for steamed vegetables.
3. If the water is doubled and a few cups of cut up fresh or frozen vegetable are added, a hearty soup will be created.
4. The barley can also be steamed. One cup of water, and one cup of barley, put in a steamer for an hour, with spices and onions, will create a crunchy meal that can be combined with beans. The contrasting textures makes this satisfying dish.
5. The grain can be ground or cracked and be used to make crackers or flavor bread.
6. The extremely low gluten content makes it unsuitable to be the base for breads.
7. Since it is a true whole grain, it requires extended cooking time (1 hour or more), but by soaking for 8 to 10 hours, the cooking time may be reduced by half.
8. Place extra cooked barley in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to one week or freeze for longer.
9. Add cooked barley to soups, casseroles and salads for extra fiber and flavor.
10. Hulless barley is highly superior to pearled barley in nutrition and during reheating will keep the kernel texture.
Country of Origin: USA
48g or more of Whole Grain per serving
This product was packaged using equipment that also handles wheat, soy, peanuts and tree nuts
Ingredients: Organic Whole Grain Hulled Barley (outer hull removed, ighter in color than hulless).
Posted by Unknown on 13th Jan 2014
Product is exceptional !!
Customer service at Shiloh Farms ... NOT SO GOOD.
Posted by Deborah D on 20th Apr 2013
Barley is delicious. I add water sometime, but other times I add chicken broth or beef broth, and my husband and I enjoy it. Also, it is much better for you than rice.
Posted by Zariz on 5th Jul 2012
Really good and of course wonderfully healthy. We use it as a base for all kinds of soups and also just as a side dish. Company loves it, too. And it's so high in fiber. The best of all the varieties of barley.
Posted by Unknown on 9th Jan 2012
I wanted to thank you for the delicious recipe for vegetable barley soup on your package for hulled barley. I make quite a few soups with barley--although usually pearled/hull-less barley--but it's hard to get one that is so flavorful and hearty without a broth as a base. This was fairly easy to throw together after a workday and was a lovely accompaniment to the pork loin my husband made for dinner. We made some braised cabbage too, but it wasn't essential. That soup would also make a fine vegan dinner on its own.
All prices are in USD.