SHILOH FARMS Kasha is buckwheat that has been lightly roasted, imparting a distinctly nutty flavor and crunchy texture. A traditional element of Jewish cuisine (where it is featured in dishes like knishes and kasha varnishkes), kasha is a versatile alternative grain that can be prepared as a cereal, used in pilafs, or added to soups and stews.
Despite what their name implies, buckwheat groats are actually unrelated to wheat. In fact, they are not technically even a grain, but rather the hulled seeds of the buckwheat plant. Naturally gluten free, buckwheat is one of the best plant sources of protein, containing 8 essential amino acids. It is also a great source of fiber, minerals (like manganese, copper, and magnesium), and B vitamins.
To Cook: Sort and rinse. Add 1 part kasha to 2 parts boiling water, cover, and simmer 15-25 minutes, or until grain is tender and water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and serve.
1. Dress up cooked kasha with browned onions, parsley, and dill.
2. Try kasha as a filling for stuffed cabbage, or add to cabbage soup.
3. Substitute for rice or bulgur in pilafs, stuffings, and side dishes.
4. Prepare as a hot cereal by cooking in juice or milk, then add your choice of sweeteners, dried fruits, or nuts.
5. Cook kasha with egg and chicken or beef broth, then mix gently with chopped onions, celery, and mushrooms.
41g or more of Whole Grain per serving
Certified Organic by Pennsylvania Certified Organic (www.paorganic.org)
Certified Kosher by KOF-K Kosher Supervision (www.www.kof-k.org)
Packaged as part of a wheat-free rotation in a facility that also handles wheat, soy, & tree nuts. Read about our cleaning processes & procedures here.
Country of Origin: USA
Ingredients: Lightly Roasted Whole Grain Buckwheat Groats
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!
All prices are in USD