Light, sweet, and buttery, SHILOH FARMS Kamut® is a delightful, delicious, and nutritious alternative grain that demands to be tried! Especially rich in protein and fiber, it is also an excellent source of manganese, phosphorus, zinc, several B Vitamins, and other essential nutrients.
An ancient variety of wheat believed to have originated in the Fertile Cresent over 6,000 years ago, Kamut® (or Khorasan Wheat) is much larger than modern strains. In fact, this grain is a specific, registered variety that must meet several strict conditions to carry the Kamut® name:
• It must be ancient Khorasan Wheat and not the product of any breeding or genetic manipulation.
• It must be Certified Organic.
• It must be 99% free of contamination from modern wheat varieties.
• It must contain 12-18% protein.
• It must contain 400-1,000 ppb selenium.
Because Kamut® is relatively easy digest, it may be tolerated by those with mild wheat sensitivities. However, as with other varieties of wheat, it does contain gluten and should be avoided by celiacs and those with acute gluten sensitivities.
To Cook: Sort and rinse. Bring 1 cup grain and 3 cups water to a boil. Reduce, cover, and simmer 1 hour, or until the grain is tender and the berries are plump. The grains should be a bit toothy and hearty, not mushy. Soaking the grains overnight should reduce cooking time by approxiately 30%. Makes about 2 cups of cooked grain.
1. Grind into a flour to be used in baked goods; substitute 1:1 for whole wheat flour in recipes.
2. Cook in milk or fruit juice for a filling hot breakfast alternative.
3. Substitute for rice, spelt, or other whole grains in soups, stews, salads, casseroles, pilafs, or stir-frys.
4. Add to meatloaf and hamburgers for substance and texture.
5. Try using Kamut® in place of rice for a twist on rice pudding.
47 grams of whole grain per serving.
Certified Organic by Pennsylvania Certified Organic (www.paorganic.org)
Certified Kosher by KOF-K Kosher Supervision (www.www.kof-k.org)
This product was packaged in a facility that also handles wheat, soy, and tree nuts.
Country of Origin: USA
Ingredients: Organic Whole Grain Kamut® (wheat) Berries
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!
All prices are in USD