Try SHILOH FARMS Heirloom Greenwheat Freekeh and take a step back in time! A traditional, ancient preparation for wheat popular in Northern Africa and the Mediterranean, freekeh is young, green wheat that is harvested while the grain is still soft and supple. It is then dried, fire roasted, and cracked, resulting in something akin to bulgur: hearty, ready in minutes, but with a toasty, nutty flavor and delightfully chewy texture all its own!
As with other forms of wheat, freekeh is an excellent whole grain source of nutrients, particularly protein, fiber, B Vitamins, and a whole host of essential minerals.
What are Heirloom Grains? Prized for their rich, distinctive flavors and unique nutritional benefits, heirloom grains are true grains that have not been genetically modified, but rather grown as nature intended. Known as a dietary staple for thousands of years, our ancestors once relied upon these ancient grain varieties to provide nourishment and sustenance. SHILOH FARMS brings these versatile, nutrient-rich, and hearty grains into the 21st Century - the perfect addition to a healthy, wholesome lifestyle!
For even more wholesome, healthy goodness, try our entire line of Heirloom Grains: Canahua, Einkorn, Emmer Farro, and Multi-Color Popcorn; and New Heirloom Beans: Jacob's Cattle Beans, Orca Beans, and Yellow Eye Beans!
To Cook: Sort and rinse. Add 1 part freekeh to 2 parts boiling water (or stock, juice, or milk), cover, and simmer for 15-25 minutes, or until grain is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
1. Substitute for rice, bulgur, or couscous.
2. A delicious option for grain salads; add to soups, stews, chili, or stir-frys.
3. Pilafs of all kinds are possible: try adding chopped dried fruits and nuts for crunch and a slight sweetness; or mix with mushrooms, scallions, and fresh herbs.
4. Cook freekeh in a small amount of liquid (milk or juice) to make a hot breakfast cereal. Sweeten as desired, then top with toasted nuts, dried fruit, and/or a sprinkling of cinnamon.
5. Make a stuffing for roasted vegetables (such as winter squashes) or poultry.
6. Add cooked freekeh to quickbreads, pancakes, and other baked goods for texture.
40 grams of whole grain per serving.
Certified Organic by Pennsylvania Certified Organic (www.paorganic.org)
Certified Kosher by KOF-K Kosher Supervision (www.www.kof-k.org)
This product was packaged in a facility that also handles wheat, soy, and tree nuts.
Country of Origin: USA
Ingredients: Organic Greenwheat Freekeh (Cracked & Roasted)
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!
All prices are in USD