Long ago, the Aztecs relied on chia seeds for energy and nutrition and it is easy to see why. Rich in fiber, protein, antioxidants, and healthy Omega-3 fatty acids, SHILOH FARMS Organic Black Chia Seeds have justly earned their designation as a superfood!
Among chia's many nutritional benefits:
• With about 11 grams per ounce, the fiber in chia seeds goes a long way toward promoting good digestion and contributing to a healthy colon.
• Low in cholesterol and sodium, it has been shown that eating chia slows the body’s digestion of carbohydrates, which can help to stabilize blood sugar.
• Chia seeds are an excellent plant source of Omega-3 fatty acids, essential fats needed to keep our hearts healthy and form cell membranes - particularly in the brain. In fact, chia seeds contain about 3 times the amount of omega-3s found in flaxseed.
• Chia has a higher protein content than most other seeds or grains, and it is a complete protein, meaning it contains all of the essential amino acids.
• Chia seeds are also a good source of phosphorus, manganese, and zinc.
Chia seeds are hydrophilic, which means “water loving" - they can absorb 10-12 times their weight in water! When water-logged, chia seeds form a gelatinous substance that is soothing to the digestive tract as well as beneficial in keeping the body hydrated and maintaining electrolyte balance.
To make Chia Gel: Add 1 part chia to 8 to 10 parts water and stir rapidly to mix. Let stand for 5 minutes and mix again. Allow to fully set for about 15 more minutes before using. Use immediately or store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
1. Sprinkle chia seeds on yogurt or cereal for breakfast.
2. Use chia gel to replace up to ½ the oil in baked goods such as muffins and pancakes.
3. Spread chia gel on top of your homemade bread before you bake it to help keep the bread fresh longer. (The seeds will dry out and toast and resemble sesame seeds on the crust of the bread.)
4. Replace up to ½ the water in yeast breads with chia gel.
5. Mix Chia Gel with drinks or mayonnaise, sauces, and jams.
6. Add Chia Seeds to salads, smoothies, and cereals.
7. Make chia pudding by combining chia seeds with milk (about 1:4 ratio) and sweetener and refrigerating overnight; top with fruit for an easy & healthy breakfast.
8. Use chia seeds in place of pectin to thicken jams.
Please Note: To prevent dehydration, you should drink 12 oz of liquid for every tablespoon of raw chia seeds that you consume. Due to the seeds' hydrophilic properties, they will absorb liquid from your body, which may create an issue if not properly hydrated.
Certified Organic by Pennsylvania Certified Organic (www.paorganic.org)
Certified Kosher by KOF-K Kosher Supervision (www.www.kof-k.org)
Gluten Free Statement: This product is naturally gluten free and has been packaged in our dedicated gluten free facility. However, we do not test or certify this product at this time. If gluten free, please use your own discretion in determining whether this product is safe for your consumption.
This product was packaged using equipment that also handles tree nuts.
Country of Origin: Mexico or Ecuador
Ingredients: Organic Black Chia Seeds
Posted by Edda on 1st Mar 2013
ExceLlent product and the service outstanding.
All prices are in USD